Learning through Play
Early childhood research has proven that young children learn best through play. Our classes provide students with fun, hands-on, age-appropriate activities that help them learn about life.
Registration is open for Academic Year 2018 - 2019
For information, school tours and enrollment call Geri Smiles, Director of Childhood Education, at 203-869-6501, ext. 221 or send an email to email@example.com.
Girls and Boys 15 Months – 3 Years
A nurturing experience where children learn to separate as individuals, build early socialization skills and advance through play, discovery, and observation. The process is customized and encourages emotional and physical development.
Learning and activity modules include:
- Music, Songs, Stories
- Finger Plays
- Art Experiences
- Small and Large Motor Skill Coordination
- Indoor and Outdoor Play
Girls and Boys 3 - 5 years
Creative preschool at its best in an atmosphere rich in experiences, concepts, and ideas. The focus is on a developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities that encourage the social, emotional, cognitive and physical development of the child. Teaching methods encourage intellectual growth and creative expression. The result is a child who is fully prepared for kindergarten, and beyond.
Our curriculum and activities include:
- Literacy: encourages verbal communication skills and recognition of letters
- Hands-on Science: forms a foundation for intellectual development
- Art: encourages individual creativity and expression.
- Hands-on Math: introduces experiences associated with numerical concepts
- Manipulatives: develops concentration, fine motor skills, and hand-eye coordination
- Music: develops an awareness of one’s body through movement and rhythmic activities that include the use of voice and musical instruments
- Foreign Language: an introduction to Spanish through stories, wordplay, and songs
- Swimming and Gymnastics Instruction: teaches social skills and builds physical strength
- Yoga: improves focus and concentrations skills, while reducing barriers to learning
- Animal Embassy: fosters appreciation and respect for the natural world and diversity of life on earth
Girls and Boys 3 - 5 years
A full-day (7:30 am - 6:00 pm), 5-day-per-week, 49-week program that offers the same curriculum as Tinker Tots. This program is ideal for working parents.
Please note: YWCA membership is required for all preschool, after-school and camp programs. Please see the Membership section for more information on membership categories available.
Tuition discounts are available for YWCA Full Members.
Financial aid is available for income-eligible families.
YWCA Preschool programs are licensed by the Connecticut Office of Early Childhood
and comply with regulatory standards for health and safety.